Active maintenance of these web resources ceased in 2012 and they will not be updated. They are posted for archival purposes only.

Topic Title: What Short Course Topics Would Most Interest You?
Topic Summary: Magnesium Technology 2009 Organizers Invite Input on Symposium Plans
Created On: 6/2/2008 2:21 PM

6/2/2008 2:21 PM

Eric Nyberg

Would you or your colleagues be interested in a short course on one of these topics:

• The economics of materials, with an emphasis on Mg
  • Deformation and forming of Mg Alloys
  • Alternatives to SF6 and the effective protocol for Mg Fire Prevention and Safety
  • Production of Magnesium (a. primary production - carbothermic vs. electrolytic, b. new casting and forming methods including strip casting, superplastic forming, semi-solid molding)
  • Microstructural control and evolution (texture control, grain refinement)
  • Other?

Use this discussion board to let us know what you think.

•        
     6/16/2008 5:55 AM

Eric Nyberg

I would definitely be interested in short courses on deformation and textural evolution of magnesium alloys

6/24/2008 7:09 PM

Eric Nyberg

I think a short course on production methods (especially of primary Mg) would be useful. Now the price has gone up again, it appears everyone's dusting off their old plant designs and techno-economic analyses!

I'm hoping to present some information on the carbothermal reduction process, which we're continuing to develop here in Australia. If you'd like something from that perspective, I'm happy to help.

FORUMS > TMS ANNUAL MEETING ZONE

THE MINERALS, METALS & MATERIALS SOCIETY
    5500 Corporate Drive Suite 750, Pittsburgh, PA 15237 USA (directions)
    www.tms.org
    Telephone 800-759-4867 (U.S. and Canada)
    724-776-9000 (elsewhere)
    Fax 724-776-3770 ·Email webmaster@tms.org